Are you looking for the easiest way to get high?
Or maybe you need the quick and efficient treatment with no psychedelic effects?
Whatever your needs are, a cannabis capsule is the answer. Depending on the active compounds, it can either provide great therapeutic benefits of cannabis or cause long-lasting intoxication. And all of these — with maximum simplicity and convenience.
What are cannabis capsules?
Cannabis capsules are gelatin-covered capsules that contain extracted cannabinoids covered with oil. They can sometimes be referred to as pills, though a capsule is more exact word because it means that the actual content is covered with gelatin that is responsible for easier transportation to the stomach. Cannabis capsules can be organic (THC or CBD capsules, etc.) or synthetic (containing dronabinol that is a substitute of THC).
The main difference of cannabis capsules from tinctures is that they are absorbed by a digestive system. As a result, the effects are delayed and may come in a period from 30 minutes to few hours. However, there is the beneficial side: they are also much longer-lasting.
Capsules are relatively a new trend in cannabis world. Though, it might stay for long because of numerous benefits they provide to the user:
- Convenience. It is the key benefit of a cannabis capsule. What can be easier than swallowing a pill? No time waste on preparations and consumption process.
- Exact dosage. Like ordinary pills, cannabis capsules can be prescribed to medical users. The task of the patient is just to find the pill with the right cannabinoid amount and to take it as prescribed. Accidental overdosage risks are totally eliminated.
- Absence of taste. Some consumers do not like the oil taste, so capsules become the preferred alternative to tinctures or other sublingual products.
- Organic ingredients. Unlike edibles, capsules do not contain sugars or any other unhealthy additives.
- Easy travelling. You can take cannabis capsules with you even to the plane just like the ordinary medicine, so it is a preferred medication for those who travel much.
- Health benefits. Capsules are able provide all health benefits of cannabis and are effective in treatment of nausea, pain, inflammation, glaucoma, epilepsy, spinal cord injury, sleep apnea, low appetite, etc.
Drawbacks of cannabis capsules
Being an effective way of medicating, cannabis capsules still have a downside. Here are the major drawbacks:
- High price. The product popularity and organic character of main components obviously influence the final price. Being more convenient treatment than smoking, it is at the same time much more expensive.
- Low availability. Not all the dispensaries provide cannabis capsules and it is a challenge to find THC pills in states where only medical marijuana is legalized.
- Slow onset. Digestion takes time so the effects might come in an hour after the actual consumption. The potential danger of the situation is that unexperienced users might repeat the dose during the period of absorption and then suffer from unexpected high with all the consequent effects of overconsumption.
- Health risks. Here is the list of potential health side effects, the intensity of which depends on the cannabinoid amount in the pill: paranoia, breath shortness, increased heart rate, dry mouth and dry eyes, dizziness, short-term memory reduction, temporary cognitive impairment.
The main component of any cannabis capsule is the cannabinoid. The cannabinoid type determines the effect it has on the body and mind of the consumer. Moreover, different cannabinoids provide different therapeutic outcomes. Learn more about four cannabinoid types that are frequently used in capsules:
This is the most well-known cannabis compound that is responsible for the «high» effect valued by recreational marijuana users. This cannabinoid has a unique power to directly influence the work of CB1 group of body receptors, which are responsible for emotions and coordination. That is why it is the only cannabinoid that provides acute intoxication. THC is also widely used for medical needs since it has a proven efficiency as a pain reliever and appetite stimulant. The raw form of THC is THCA or THC acid. It is non-psychoactive and should be decarboxylated by heat to convert to THC.
This is the cannabinoid, which is frequently preferred by medical users. The reason is that is provides health benefits without any following psychedelic effects. CBD as well as THC binds to CB2 group of receptors, but in the indirect way. These receptors are responsible for immunity regulation that is why CBD pills are widely used to treat inflammation and following pain. Cannabidiol also has a significant calming effect and is used to treat anxiety disorders or simply to get balanced and fight stress. Raw form is CBDA, but it is rarely used since it is almost identical to CBD in effects.
This cannabinoid appears when THC gets exposed to oxygen for a long time. It has no psychoactive effects but brings a number of medical benefits including a sedative, antibacterial, and painkilling effect.
This cannabinoid is rare and relatively new in the market, but there already are cannabis capsules on its basis. CBG is the precursor of both THC and CBD, and it is difficult to synthesize it from a cannabis flower. CBG is non-psychoactive and has a proven efficiency in medicine. It is used to treat glaucoma, fight inflammation and as the antibacterial medicine.
Capsules VS smoking
If you are considering cannabis as a way of medication, your first impulse will certainly be turning to smoking opportunities as the most traditional way of consuming cannabinoids. However, there are more progressive methods, one of which is taking cannabis pills. Why are capsules more favorable than smoking marijuana?
- they do not irritate lungs;
- they provide longer-lasting effects than smoking;
- they have a steady dosage;
- they do not have a smell;
- you do not need to learn how to smoke.
As the only disadvantage in comparison to smoking, it is possible to indicate the slower effect appearance.
Capsules VS edibles
Cannabis capsules are very similar to edibles in consumption. Both are taken orally and both get digested by stomach and metabolized by liver. Both provide the delayed onset and long-lasting effects. What is the actual difference?
In fact, there are only two differences between capsules and edibles, and they are the following:
- First, capsules are low-calorie organic products while edible contain sugars and taste modifiers.
- Secondly, dosing edibles is much more difficult, and because of this fact its consumption results in frequent cases of overdosage.
Dronabinol: a synthetic cannabinoid
Dronabinol is a chemically designed synthetic cannabinoid that is frequently used in medicine as the alternative to natural organic cannabinoids. The most popular indications for its use are severe weight loss (due to different illnesses) and nausea and vomiting treatment as a part of cancer therapy. Dronabinol is intoxicating so patients who receive this treatment should refrain from driving, taking care of children or engaging in any hazardous activity.
Despite its obvious health benefits, dronabinol is not the organic marijuana product and it should be used only for severe cases which require special medical treatment. Pills with dronabinol are not the alternative of THC capsules for recreational users.
How to make DIY cannabis capsules at home?
Being a two-component medicine with only organic ingredients, cannabis capsules are not too difficult in home production. Check the recipe:
What you need:
- 7 grams of cannabis (for medical reasons, it is recommended to make preference to CBD-rich strains);
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil;
- slow cooker;
- Decarboxylate your cannabis. For that aim, place cannabis in a thin layer and bake at the oven at 225 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-30 minutes.
- Grind cannabis into a fine powder.
- Mix cannabis and oil and heat them in a slow cooker for 4-5 hours using minimal temperatures.
- Fill in the capsules (pour the substance into the larger end of a capsule first).
- Let cool and keep in the fridge to prolong a shelf life.
Such organic homemade medicine requires minimal time for preparation and brings plenty of health benefits to a user.